What is the #1 thing that you want people to do when they arrive on your blog?
Last week at an event about blogging that I attended I asked the above question to 10 bloggers and jotted down their responses:
- 2 said ‘click on an ad’
- 2 said ‘buy my product’
- 1 said ‘subscribe to my RSS feed’
- 1 said ‘subscribe to my newsletter’
- 4 said they didn’t know
There’s no wrong or right answer to the question – every blog will have a different ‘conversion point’ to it – but it’s a great question to ask yourself from time to time.
Your answer will inform numerous aspects of your blogging including:
- How you design your blog – your call to the conversion you’re after should be prominent, above the fold and eye catching
- What you blog about – your blog posts should, at the very least, relate to your conversion goals and, at best, should lead people to wanting to take the action you’re after.
- Your promotional activities – knowing what you want people to do when they arrive on your blog can inform your decisions on where and how to promote your blog.
So what is the number 1 thing that you want people to DO when they arrive on your blog?
PS: tomorrow I’m going to flesh this out a little more and share a few tips on getting people to take the action you want them to do.