Note: you can listen to this episode above or load it up in iTunes.
How to Diversify Your Blog Traffic Sources to Make Your Blog Stronger
Today’s episode is about how I almost lost my blogging business overnight. It was right after I had decided to blog full time and had quit my part time job. My traffic fell by 80% and my income fell by about 85%. It was an awful feeling and I’d like to share this story with you to make sure you know what to do if disaster ever strikes your blog. I share why it happened, what I did to recover from it, and what I do now to prevent it ever happening again.
In This Episode
- Why relying solely on one source of traffic or income source is risky
- How working out who you want to read your blog can make finding readers easier
- How creating content that solves the needs of readers can make your blog stronger
- How to appear on other peoples’ blogs
- How and why collecting email addresses of people who visit your blog is so important
- Why having an email newsletter is so important
- How developing a presence on social media can strengthen your blog
- Why networking with other bloggers helps your blog, and how to do it
- Why, when and how you should share your blog posts with social influencers
- Why a content event can help your blog and how to do it
Further Reading and Resources for How to Diversify Your Blog Traffic Sources to Make Your Blog Stronger
- The Day I Almost Lost My Blogging Business By Having Too Many Eggs in the One Basket
- Episode 33: 2 Questions to Ask to Help You Find Readers for Your Blog
- Episode 37: Grow Traffic to Your Blog Through Guest Posting and Creating Content for Other Blogs, Forums, Media and Events
- Episode 35: Turn Surfers into Blog Readers by Building a Sticky Blog
- Episode 61: How to Build a Culture of Community on Your Blog
- How to Create Reader Profiles/Personas to Inspire and Inform Your Blogging
- How I Use Email Newsletters to Drive Traffic and Make Money
- How to Pitch to Bloggers – 21 Tips
This graph shows my blog traffic at the time that it dropped overnight:
How did you go with today’s episode?
What did you learn from today’s episode? What is your number one source of blog traffic? What would happen if that blog traffic was to disappear tomorrow? Would you be able to survive? Would you be able to sustain your blog? What could you do to start growing other traffic sources for your blog? Do you have other tips that have worked for you? What will you try next?
I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
Finally, if you have a moment we’d love to get your feedback on the ProBlogger Podcast with this short survey which will help us plan future episodes.
Enjoy this podcast? Subscribe to ProBloggerPLUS for free to get free blogging tutorials and podcasts in your inbox each week.