Thanks all for your feedback on our 50th episode of the ProBlogger podcast! I still can’t believe we finally made it.
This episode is sort of an introduction to what affiliate marketing is and how I personally approach it. There are a heap of practical tips so you’re sure to get something out of it whether you’re a complete affiliate newbie, or have seen some success before.
Affiliate marketing is a blogger’s promotion of a particular product (created by someone else) with a specific link that contains a tracking code. When someone buys on the basis of your recommendation, and clicks through from your tracking link, you get a commission on that sale. For Digital Photography School, we often recommend cameras, and therefore will get 4% of any sale resulting from that recommendation from Amazon.
So why consider affiliate marketing as an income stream? When you consider in advertising the advertiser is taking a risk by paying you for amplification on your blog that might not work out, and you as the publisher are taking the risk by becoming an affiliate, it seems like a dud deal. But the rewards of affiliate sales can often be greater than through general advertising alone, which can make it an attractive option despite the risk.
Today I discuss one particular experience I had with an early affiliate collaboration and how it exceeded beyond everyone’s expectations, and I also talk about the kinds of blogs that can be more successful with affiliate sales, and the three things I believe they need to have that will boost their chances of getting a high return.
The other topics I touch on are:
- Personally how I approach affiliate marketing
- How much of my income is derived through affiliate marketing
- How it is often dictated by seasonal trends
- The three types of affiliate programs I promote on my blogs
- The types of affiliate networks available and how they work
- Tips for affliliate marketing on blogs (and what NOT to do!)
- The types of promotion you can use depending on your audience
- Placement of affiliate links for higher returns
- How I drive traffic to the post and the promotion
- Tips on transparency and disclaimers
- Easy tracking of results
- Promotional sequences and strategies
- How to balance promotion frequency
- How to Make Money as an Amazon Affiliate [REPLAY]
- 3 Simple Questions to Understand Why Your Affiliate Promotions Are Not Converting
- The Ultimate Guide to Making Money with the Amazon Affiliate Program
- Affiliate Marketing Strategies: Smart Passive Income
- The Ultimate Guide to Affiliate Marketing: Monetize Pros