At PBEVENT last week I was having lunch with a group of 5 bloggers from quite different niches and for a few minutes the conversation centred around the topic of which social media sites send us the most traffic.
We went around the circle and shared the top sources of social media traffic for our blogs and it was fascinating to hear how for different blogs and niches the answer changed.
I thought it might make an interesting discussion post here on ProBlogger (and might help some of us to work out where to invest more time into social.
While traffic isn’t the only benefit of engaging on social – I know for many bloggers it’s a big reason to be engaging in social.
So here are my 2 questions for discussion:
- what is your blog’s niche/topic?
- what social media site/s sends your blog the most traffic?
Let me quickly answer for my two main blogs:
- the niche is obviously ‘photography tips’
- The top social media source of traffic last month was clearly Facebook with Pinterest coming in at number 2 (but not even close to what Facebook sent).
- the niche is ‘blogging tips’
- The top social media source of traffic last month was again Facebook – but Twitter came in as a closer 2nd.
Aside: I was actually a little surprised by the result for ProBlogger because last time I checked Twitter was the #1 and I do put more effort into building a presence on the ProBlogger Twitter account than on our Facebook Page (we also have a lot more engagement and larger following numbers on Twitter). It looks like I might need to rethink my focus a little!