Over the last couple of years I’ve lost count of the number of people who have said ‘Darren you really should start a podcast’.
I’d always nodded my head but quietly list in my mind a long list of excuses not to including ‘I don’t know how…’ to ‘I’m so busy…’ to ‘what if nobody listens…’
But earlier this year something changed when people suggested I start a podcast.
I’m not going to tell you exactly why I changed because I tell you that in the first episode (that went live on iTunes over the weekend) – but it was like a switch got flicked somewhere in my mind and I found myself starting to dream about starting one of my own (and as I did my list of excuses began to dissolve).
I decided while on a month long break in the US in April to create a ProBlogger podcast and in my presentation at Chris Ducker’s conference in May I announced I was going to create it and after one of the attendees (I’m looking at you Lane) pressured me to put a date on when I’d do it I impulsively said it would be launched within 2 months!
Little did I know how much of a job I had in front of me because rather than start off with a steady weekly show I decided that my first month of podcasting would be a daily show based upon the 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Workbook!
Episode 0 is Live
Today Episode 0 of the podcast went live on iTunes and day 1 of the 31 Days to Build a Better blog series will kick off on Wednesday (1 July)! You can find show notes and listen to the podcast on our podcast site here.
In the first episode:
- I share why I decided to start podcasting
- I talk about 2 traits of successful blogs that inform how the podcast will work
- I share my plan for the first action oriented 31 days of short sharp podcasts based around 31DBBB
31 Days to Build a Better Blog
Having run this month long challenge numerous times before I know the potential it has to help bloggers bring about transformation on their blogs.
Tens of thousands of bloggers have taken the challenge (and many have completed it numerous times) so I’m excited to be doing it again and would love to have you along on the journey.
Don’t feel you need to do it daily (it’s designed to do at your own pace) but please do subscribe to the podcast here on iTunes.
Please Help Us with a Quick Review and Rating on iTunes
Once you’ve listened to the first podcast (it’s only 16 minutes) please take a moment to give us a rating (hint… 5 starts is good) and a review – it helps us get the word out about the challenge and the more on it the better for everyone!
A Note about the 31DBBB WorkBook
This podcast series is based upon the 31 Days to Build a Better blog workbook and follows the same 31 days in it – however you do not need a copy to follow along.
While there’s definitely more material in the eBook (in fact there’s a bonus 7 days includes in that) you will give value from the podcast without it.
However if you do want to have your own copy of the 31 days of material (plus the 7 extras) to use on an ongoing basis please use the coupon code PODCAST50 during the checkout from the sales page to get 50% off the workbook for the next month.
No pressure though – as I say you can get a lot of value out of the podcast alone if you choose to do so.
Update: Here’s the Full 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Series
It’s been over a month of podcasting now and I’ve learned so much. The first 31 episodes were downloaded over 120,000 times in the first month and I’ve now started a second series on finding readers for your blog.
Many readers/listeners have asked for all the first series episodes to be listed in one place. While it’s on iTunes I thought it might help to list them here too. Enjoy!
- Episode 0 – Welcome to the ProBlogger Podcast and 31DBBB
- Episode 1: How to Create an Elevator Pitch for Your Blog
- Episode 2: How to Write a List Post
- Episode 3: How to Find New Readers for Your Blog
- Episode 4: How to Improve Your Blog by Watching What Other Bloggers Do
- Episode 5: How to Convert a Casual Blog Reader into a Loyal Long Term Raving Fan
- Episode 6: How to Get Your Blog Mobile Friendly
- Episode 7: How to Create a Link Post for Your Blog
- Episode 8: How to Build An Effective Social Media Strategy for Your Blog
- Episode 9: How to Build Your Profile and Drive Traffic to your Blog Through Forums and Social Media Groups
- Episode 10: How to never run out of ideas for blog posts and be aware of latest developments in your niche
- Episode 11: How to Come Up with Hundreds of Blog Post Ideas for Your Blog
- Episode 12: How to Create an Editorial Calendar for your Blog
- Episode 13: How Going Shopping Can Improve Your Blogging
- Episode 14: How to Update Key Pages or Hot Posts on Your Blog
- Episode 15: How to Improve Your Blog by Partnering with a Blogging Buddy
- Episode 16: How to Improve Your Blog by Solving a Reader’s Problem
- Episode 17: How to Improve Your Blog by Watching a First Time Reader
- Episode 18: How to Create a Page That Propels People Deep Within Your Blog
- Episode 19: How to Write an Opinion Post to Draw People in to Your Blog
- Episode 20: How to Leave Comments on Other Blogs
- Episode 21: How to Conduct a Policy Review For Your Blog
- Episode 22: How to Pay Special Attention to a Reader
- Episode 23: How to Write a Post That Contains a Call to Action
- Episode 24: How to Use a Magazine to Improve Your Blog
- Episode 25: How to Ask Your Blog Readers a Question
- Episode 26: Spend 15 Minutes Improving Someone Else’s Blog
- Episode 27: How to Update Old Posts In Your Archives (including how to find Broken Links)
- Episode 28: How to Write a Review Post
- Episode 29: How to Develop a Plan to Grow Your Readership
- Episode 30: How to Dig Into Your Blog’s Google Analytics Stats
- Episode 31: How to Plan Your Next Month of Blogging
These 32 episodes are just the start of the ProBlogger podcast. While these were daily episodes from now on I’ll be publishing 2 podcasts a week. To get notified of when they come out subscribe in iTunes and/or subscribe to our ProBloggerPLUS newsletter.