Update: See our more recently published posts on the topic of starting a blog at How to Start a Blog in 5 Easy Steps and how to make money blogging.
Welcome to my How to Blog – Blogging Tips for Beginners Guide.
On the page below you’ll find links to a series of how to blog tips that I’ve written with blogging for beginners (and ‘Pre’ Bloggers) in mind. It unpacks the basics of blogging and a lot of the decisions and strategies that you’ll want to consider when setting up and starting a blog.
How to Blog – My Ultimate Guide to Blogging for Beginners
Since developing this series I’ve produced a book specifically for beginner bloggers. You can learn more about it on our ProBlogger the Book page. The book is filled with up to date blogging tips for beginners – you can get it on Amazon here.
Lastly- if you enjoy these posts and want to keep in touch with ProBlogger – subscribe via our RSS feed.
Blogging Tips for Beginners
- What is a Blog?
- 23 Questions for Prospective Bloggers – Is a Blog Right for You?
- How to Choose a Niche Topic for Your Blog
- Choosing a Blog Platform
- Choosing a Domain Name for your Blog
- Blog Tools
Blog Design Tips
Tips for Writing Content for Blogs
- Useful and Unique Content
- Post Length
- Granular (One Topic) Posts
- Using Titles Effectively on Blogs
- Scannable Content
- Basic HTML Tags
- More on Writing Content for your Blog
Tips on Making Money from Blogs
- Introduction to Making Money from Blogs
- Should I blog for Money?
- Making Money From Your Blog – Direct Methods
- Making Money Because of your Blog – Indirect Methods
- How Much Money Can a Blog Earn?
- Introduction to Advertising Optimization – Traffic
- Introduction to Advertising Optimization – Ad Position
- Introduction to Advertising Optimization – Ad Design
- Introduction to Advertising – Ad Relevancy
- Introduction to Advertising – High Paying Ads
- Introduction to Blog Networks
- Why Should you join a blog network?
- Why you shouldn’t join a blog network
Other Beginner Blogging Tips
- An Introduction to Using Images on Blogs
- How to Start a Blog Partnership
- Kick Your RSS – Jumping on the Syndication Bandwagon
- Introduction to Trackbacks
- Tag You’re It – Leveraging Tagging for your Blog
- 10 Techniques for Finding Blog Readers
- 19 More Strategies for Finding Readers
Want more Blogging Tips for Beginners?
If you want more blogging tips I can recommend two things.
1. Subscribe to ProBlogger – This blog is updated daily with news and tips relevant to bloggers wanting to improve their blogs. You can subscribe via our RSS feed or via email by adding your email address to the field below:
2. Check out the archives of ProBlogger – Over the last few years I’ve published over 3000 posts and blogging tips to ProBlogger. The links above just scratch the surface. One way to get into our archives is through our Archives Page which highlights the different categories of the blog and suggests some of the more popular posts from DEHE. Alternatively use the search feature at the top of the blog to hunt down the topics you want to know more about.
thanks for the tips, you’ll hear a lot from me when i’ve learned it all… -_-
I’m a beginner, thank you for your beginners guide. I definitely need all the information.
A great way to get your blog out there is using forums which is ingenious IMO! This post shows most of it.
[…] can become key pages on your blog. For example here on ProBlogger one of my most popular pages is Blogging for Beginners which started out simply as a list of posts from a series I was writing specifically for […]
Most people who blog are blogging for either two reasons: making money from the blog or just passionate enough to blog (even without getting compensated).
Only few people do understand that blogs can be used as an online reputation management tool.
How is that so?
Let me explain. In an online business, or just even business in general, reputations are like “trust cards.”
Most people won’t even care to talk to you unless they know you. Even worse, they may even blacklist you if you have a bad reputation.
Another example is when doing transactions in forums. One thing to notice is that when you’re just starting out and you are virtually an unknown to everybody, they are skeptic to do transactions with you. They want to you to do a condition first before doing a business with you to gain trust. There’s no big deal about that and it’s the thing most newbie face when they jump into the online marketplace.
So why blogs?
It’s been talked about so much how search engines love blogs. Blogs are easy to spider, ranks well on some keywords and most provides high quality content (if not all).
Thanks making this list, make it easier to learn blogging from step by step article.
I have a log ranked 3. But these tips will definitely help me increase the rank when making it look better! Thanks a ton!
your list for beginners is just amazing, you have cover almost all the areas someone should first look at. I’m sure all newbies would look at your list, thanks for sharing.
Nice Tips! Really these tips are very useful for me because i am beginner. Thanks a lot.
thank you, I am a new and much-read the lesson from your article, very useful for me
great tips. beginners always have no idea of what they could do to their new blog and day by day no updates added into it.
what you really help is tell us beginners how to find resource to update our website. really awesome, thanks
Hey Darren, Thanks for the great informative tips… I as a beginner have learnt a lot from your posts… :)
Thanks again… :)
What is problogger
Thank you this tips are quit useful and informative for the beginners to learn and implement and to generate more traffic.