Hey! I'm Joe the founder of Smoked BBQ Source.
Smoked BBQ Source is a fast-growing barbecue media company with the goal of being the top destination for pitmasters of all levels who want to master the art of grilling and smoking meat.
We are a team of barbecue enthusiasts from around the world who all share a love of barbecue and a desire to teach and pass on our knowledge.
We are looking for a driven and talented freelance writer who loves barbecue to join our editorial team and help us produce the best barbecue content on the web.
What we're looking for:
We're looking to hire a long-term writer who can contribute regularly to our blog.
- You must have a love of barbecue and know your way around a grill/smoker.
- Be able to craft a compelling narrative, hook the reader and provide plenty of tips and advice.
- You are passionate about the research process, as the content you create needs to be supported with relevant examples and expert opinions.
- You should be able to contribute 2-5 articles per week with an average article length of between 1,000-4,000 words
- You must be able to follow our style guide, and be open to editorial feedback
- You must be familiar with using Google Docs
- You must be a native English writer
Benefits of writing for us
- Competitive freelance rates between $0.06- $0.10 per word based on experience
- Flexible with your schedule, workload, and deadlines.
- Be paid on time twice every month.
- Be a part of an experienced editorial team for a niche media company that receives millions of visitors a year.
- The option to have full author credit and a bio on our website once you are successfully established.
- Regular, ongoing writing work in an exciting niche.
What you'll write about
Topics will be focused on barbecue, grilling, and outdoor entertaining with subjects ranging from "how to smoke in cold conditions", to "how to set up a gas grill for smoking".
- Common types of articles include detailed guides, lists, and tips, answers to common questions, product research, and comparisons.
- Each article will be between 1000 - 4000 words per post so you'll be able to sink your teeth into a topic.
- You'll be assigned topics and provided a detailed brief to follow so that you can focus on writing the most interesting, informative articles possible.
- Proper US spelling and grammar is mandatory
- You will use our briefs and your own research to create informative content.
Subject matter experience will be a plus, but it's more important that you can research a topic and then explain it in an interesting and informative way in plain English.
We make sure that every post we publish goes through our strict editorial process to ensure everything is accurate and the tone feels right.
It's quite likely that in the first couple of weeks there will be a lot of feedback and editing required.
Check out our latest blog posts to get a feel for the sort of quality we are looking for.
Note we only require our writers to write the content, no web formatting or design is required.
How to apply:
Please answer a few simple questions and link to at least 3 samples of similar content you have published in your application.