ReSprout is a gardening education company that helps new and advanced gardeners alike “Garden Like a Boss”. Our mission is to get a food garden in every home in the world and help make gardens easier to maintain, more productive and more beautiful.
We are a small all-remote team that values excellence, laughter, soil health, good food, nerdiness, and inspiring others. If this sounds like you, we’d love for you to join us!
Who You Are
- You have a garden and are knowledgeable and passionate about growing your own food.
- You believe gardening could change lives, even the world.
- You are detail-oriented and thorough. You are the fact-checker and double-checker.
- You are a grammar and punctuation nerd and have an opinion on the Oxford comma.
- You are always looking to make a 1% improvement and learn new things.
- You get fired up by challenges and deadlines.
- You think outside the box.
- You make obstacles into opportunities.
- You look for solutions, not excuses. You are willing to do what it takes.
- You are kind, constructive, positive and enthusiastic.
- You are based in the U.S. and speak English natively.
- You have a sense of humor. Because when all else fails, sometimes all you can do is laugh at that disgusting cabbage worm infestation.
- Writing for a variety of platforms including blogs, web pages, social (Instagram, Facebook, Tiktok, Twitter), YouTube (descriptions and community posts), short and long-form video scripts, e-commerce product descriptions and tutorials, e-newsletters, captions, and course content.
- Increasing organic traffic to our content and e-commerce platforms and to the platforms of our affiliates and sponsors.
- Generating topic ideas based on personal gardening experience, traffic goals, seasonality, social media and online trends, community feedback, keyword research.
- Outlining articles using keyword analysis, internal links, editorial briefs, traffic objectives, and search engine optimization best practices.
- Writing in an educational, approachable, friendly style without fluff, plagiarism, or AI-assistance.
- Researching and identifying qualified editorial sources and crediting those sources.
- Editing and/or reformatting written content for other platforms (for instance a blog into a video script).
- Meeting deadlines.
- Posting written content using basic HTML links and social tags to a variety of platforms (project management software, Google Docs, WordPress, social media platforms).
- Monitoring and making timely updates to project management software with content statuses, edits, and feedback.
- Offering feedback on and updating style guides.
- Sourcing photos and/or video to demonstrate written content (by using in-house media database, coordinating with other team members, locating stock photos, or creating original paid photos or videos).
- Attending regular team meetings via Zoom.
- $0.07-$0.10 per word depending on topic, task, and experience
- Paid photo and video opportunities
- Performance bonuses for hitting traffic and click targets
- Additional flat-rate opportunities for special content projects
- Monthly continuing education credit
How to Apply
Please fill out our online application at https://resprout.com/jobs/garden-writer/ and include the following:
- Introduce yourself by writing a short writer bio for our gardening website at resprout.com.
- If you are also applying for our Content Writer position, please indicate that and speak to those points as well.
- Tell us about your garden and your gardening experience. Why do you love gardening? How did you get into it? Do you have any formal education in gardening, such as a horticultural degree or Master Gardener training? What are your favorite plants? What zone are you in? What is your next garden project? What is your biggest garden challenge?
- Tell us about your writing experience. How did you get into writing? What are your favorite writing tools? Have you held other writing positions and what did they entail? What is your favorite type of thing to write? Explain your experience with the formats we write in.
- Your resumé
- 3-5 photos or videos of your garden or link to a social media profile where these are visible.
- A minimum of two samples of something you’ve written, bonus points if it is garden-related and/or in a blog format.
All applications will be acknowledged with an automatic response. Candidates who pass this first round will be contacted with a further survey and the third round will be a Zoom interview.
We can’t wait to hear from you and hear about your garden!