Are you passionate about growing your own vegetables, farming, grilling & smoking, self-sufficiency, tools, or just love being outdoors?
Do you run your own homestead, raise animals, drive tractors, fix gear? Join the content team at Outdoor Happens!
Outdoor Happens focuses on self-sufficient backyard homesteads. Our goal is to help people create the best backyard possible, with the best gear possible.
We focus on these areas:
- Gardening and farming
- Raising animals
- Backyard living
- Off grid living
- Tools and equipment
Here's what we're looking for:
- Optimism and enthusiasm - we're a passionate bunch and if you're not, you won't fit.
- Team player. Help others and they'll help you.
- Dedication. We're a small team, kinda like a family, and although you don't need to dedicate your life to us, we do ask that you're dedicated to writing great content.
- A little crazy. If you're a bit weird, that's OK. We've seen enough boring blog posts to last us a lifetime.
- Native English only. You can do this job from anywhere in the world, but your English needs to be native.
- Reliable. You need to be able to commit to at least 1500 words a week, long term. Don't leave us hanging without notice, it's not nice.
- Writing skills. We don't care if you're a professional writer or have just started. What matters is that you can engage us with your story and tell it like it is. We're anti-fluff so you need to be able to make your point succinctly and entertain us at the same time. Anyone can apply!
- Rate per word. Make sure you include your rate in your application. We generally pay between 0.03 and 0.05 cents per word. If your rate is more, convince us why you're worth it.
- Research. You'll need decent research skills. Our articles never make claims we can't back up. For some articles, you'll need to be able to compare the good and bad points of certain products to identify the one that stands out. You may also need to be able to write a guide stating what the reader should look for in these products.
- Value. We are looking for writers who can provide exceptional value for readers. Can you inspire people? Can you teach them how to do cool things? Can you explain things in a way we can all understand?
- Writing style. We don't do fancy. We do understandable, relatable quality. We like to understand what you're saying. Can you write like you're talking to a friend? Can you refrain from using statements like "in order to" and "herewith"?
How to Apply
- Please apply via email, to elle at outdoorhappens.com.
- Tell us a bit about yourself, something that's different about you. Treat your introduction as a mini blog post so we can see your zing!
- Which of our 6 focus areas are you most suitable to and why?
- Please include a published article URL, sample post, or review if possible.
Wishing you a lovely day,
El & the team at OH!