American Songwriter is looking for a creative, thorough, and detail-oriented Freelance Music Writer to join our content writing team. Must be able to self-edit work, complete projects on time, and write effectively and quickly for multiple formats.
We are currently looking for candidates based in the US only. Please do not apply if you're not based in the US.
Freelance Writer’s responsibilities include creating content that is readable, accurate, and ready for publication on a tight deadline. A successful candidate will possess a passion for writing well-researched topics and have broad knowledge that spans music as well as trends and other elements of pop culture. Ultimately, you’ll be creating quality written evergreen features in excess of 1000 words that appeal to our audience and boost brand awareness.
Please share samples of your work or a portfolio of your published articles. Include links to these in the "Portfolio URLS" section of the application.
Freelance Writer Responsibilities:
- Formulate text in accordance with prescribed editorial and formatting guidelines.
- Write clear, concise copy in a timely manner. Ensure all-around consistency (style, fonts, and tone).
- Proofread your assignments to detect and correct errors. Ensure text is properly researched.
- Submit completed works via the requisite channels to editors for approval.
- Maintain originality in your work
Freelance Writer Requirements:
- Excellent writing and editing skills- strong knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently with little daily supervision.
- Ability to work/write quickly and efficiently, including 1000-1200 + word content.
- Extensive knowledge of, and passion for, music and pop culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in creative writing journalism, communication studies, or an adjacent field
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail.
- Prior writing experience, preferably as a freelancer.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Self-motivated, disciplined approach to work.
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks
The position reports to Editor in Chief and Managing Editor.