AsktheDentist.com, the leading destination on the web for dental health, seeks an experienced health editor who is passionate about empowering people to live healthier, better lives. Dr. Mark Burhenne isn’t your average dentist—he believes that mouth starts in the mouth, and our team is dedicated to spreading this message and helping people understand the mouth-body connection for vibrant health. You will drive a long-term content strategy to create best-in-class content for Ask the Dentist readers that drives their engagement and loyal readership. Your work will touch millions of readers.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are competitive (in a good way) and want Ask the Dentist to be the absolute best place on the web for anything dental-related.
- You are laser-focused on reaching the reader, making them feel something, giving them quick wins, and inspiring them to take action.
- You have a track record of driving content strategy at a highly-trafficked internet publisher.
- You know how to bring best practices to an editorial team and establish rigor and constantly raise the bar in the quality of the team’s output. You are always thinking of great editorial ideas.
- You have a passion for storytelling, functional medicine, and health information that’s not just informative, but practical and actionable.
- You are a strong copywriter who just gets it when it comes to what content performs well on the internet and what moves readers to share, signup, buy.
- You deeply care about our readers and are motivated to understand them beyond demographics—what’s preventing them from achieving their goals? What are their fears? If they could change one thing about their teeth, what would it be? How would that change their life?
WHY YOU’LL LOVE WORKING WITH US
- We are ethical. There’s plenty of snake oil out there, from scammy dental insurance plans to get-white-teeth quick scams, and we’ll have none of it.
- We are a shame-free zone. We do not lecture our readers or make them feel bad about their dental habits. Shame prevents us from taking care of ourselves and from taking action. We aspire to inspire and help our readers get back on the right track with their oral health and make it fun!
- We aim to stay on the cutting edge—and that extends beyond the science and health information; we strive to be innovators in how we motivate and engage our readers, through storytelling, free downloadable guides, 30-day challenges, etc.
- Review and edit articles, weekly email newsletter, email sequences, ebooks, guides, and infographics
- Manage the complete content cycle, ensuring the best story, the strongest angle, voice, and tone, and consistency across all content channels (site-wide and email newsletter)
- Give feedback and notes to writers in a timely and constructive manner
- Use data and competitive analysis to form content strategy
- Understand which types of content are performing well
- Optimize both legacy and new content across the site, including email newsletters to ensure all content is aligned with content strategy set forth by Editor-in-Chief
- Challenge yourself and others to raise the bar
- Create incredible content for our readers
- Drive demand for reader engagement
- At least 2 years of proven success at managing content for a high-traffic internet publisher
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Best-in-class knowledge of SEO practices
- Experience with SEO reporting and familiarity with tools (Google Analytics, Moz, etc.)
- Excellent communication and copywriting skills, especially written communication
- Solid organizational skills
- Ability to think critically and drive Ask the Dentist’s strategic priorities
This is a part-time (~10-20 hrs/work) independent contractor position with the opportunity for full-time employment as the company grows. Applicants must reside in the United States. This is a work-from-home position. Pay is commensurate with experience.
1. Why are you the best fit for this role?
2. What is your background in editing, journalism, and/or internet publishing?
3. We'd love to see examples of what you can do. Please send hyperlinks to your previous work, and tell us in a sentence or two why it makes you proud.