Online surf magazine Surfd.com seeks a regular contributor to write about the best things in surfing. Surfd.com was founded in 2002 and has published thousands of popular product reviews, destination profiles, surfing advice and lifestyle articles, interviews and culture spotlights. Many of our articles hold the #1 position in search engines.
As a writer, you will receive regular content assignments from the manager and editor, and you will be expected to complete the assignment within the guidelines given. Article topics can vary but may include product reviews, advice posts, “best of” posts, feature articles, and guest posts on various topics. Other projects may be requested as the working relationship grows. Further revisions may be requested after work is submitted for review.
We value your creativity and unique voice. Irreverant, interesting commentary and unique perspectives are encouraged.
- Native English speaker.
- The ability to write at least two articles per week. These articles usually are about 600-1500 words each, but on occasion may require more. More articles may be requested (but would not be mandatory) over time.
- The ability to implement editor feedback into future writing.
- Experience writing for blogs or print publications.
- Experience as a surfer of with the surfing lifestyle.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Can complete standard article requests within three days’ time.
- Strong research skills.
- Can take SEO concerns into consideration when writing content.
- Can keep a consistent line of communication open with managers and editors.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and tracking changes.
- A degree in English or proven commercial writing skills.
- Previous experience publishing on WordPress.
- Knowledge of how to tailor content so that it can maintain a strong social media presence.
What We Provide
- Compensation will be .05-.07 cents per word, with potential changes made for non-standard projects. This means that a 600-word article would pay $30.
Please Do the Following When Submitting Your Application:
- In your application please put the words “Surf Writer” in the subject. Applications that do not follow this step will be disregarded.
- Please include three samples of your work.
Answer the following questions:
- What types of writing have you done in the past?
- What skill sets do you have that make you a perfect fit for Surfd.com?
- What level of surfer are you?
- What is your experience writing about these topics?
- What is your availability to work?
- What separates your writing from the rest?
- Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?
Submit any other information or documents that you think will be helpful in reviewing your application.
Send your application to [email protected]
We will own the exclusive rights to any content, it must not be shared, published or appear anywhere else either in print or online without our expressed permission.