Job Title: Part-Time Content Editor
We are seeking a freelance remote editor to edit content for https://kayakadvisors.com, a leading website in the kayak and watersports industries. The website provides product reviews and important information to readers, and we’re seeking a new team member to proofread and improve the content our experienced writing team provides.
As a part-time content editor, you will be taking articles upon their completion by the writer and working to improve the copy and the content to make the website more attractive and more useful to readers. Kayak Advisors is growing, and if you’d like to be part of that growth, we’d love to talk to you about working with us.
- Editing website content in accordance with the style and content guidelines of the website.
- Tailoring content written for the site to meet the needs of the reader and stay within the vision of the website.
- Keeping in contact with other team members.
- Editing for different styles of writing and tailoring content to a targeted niche audience.
- Working with writers to improve content and provide feedback on writing if necessary.
- Establishing and maintaining content expectations, including content accuracy, cohesiveness, and sophistication.
- Mastering the content guidelines and the content creation process.
- Adjusting content in the event the website needs to adjust its message or update facts.
- Native English speaker
- Previous editing experience of at least one year.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution. Degrees in English or a related field preferred.
- Must be available at least 5 hours a week, and there will likely be options in the future to expand this time
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Be able to respond to and edit articles within a 3-day time frame.
- Independent problem-solving skills.
- Time management skills, including the ability to work with and manage several articles at once.
- Strong written communications skills, including being able to keep a strong line of communication open with managers and writers.
- Strong familiarity with Google Docs and Google Sheets.
- Previous experience editing and working with WordPress strongly desired.
- Knowledge or experience with kayaking and other aquatic sporting preferred.
- Previous experience implementing SEO best practices.
What We Provide
- Compensation will be $15 per hour.
- Training in any relevant new skills or programs used in the editing process.
- The freedom to make your own hours and schedule.
- Familiarity with multiple-draft writing processes and long-form content.
Please Do the Following When Submitting Your Application
- Please write the word “kayak” at the top of your application and send to [email protected]
- Answer the following:
- What is your previous experience editing content? Specifically, what experience do you have editing and proofreading website content?
- What is your previous experience with kayaking or water sports? Are you interested in learning more about the industry?
- What is your availability to work? While you should be able to expect a 5-10 hour workload to start with, if you are available more work could potentially become available as the website increases content creation.
- What makes you stand out as an excellent editor?
- Is there anything else you would like us to know about you?
- If you have any references or examples of your work that you’d like to submit, please do so with your application and/or message.