Staff Writer, Small Business Trends (Remote Friendly)
Your job in a nutshell: writing informative articles about small business, entrepreneurship, and workplace topics.
- Fit Small Business seeks a Small Business writer with a journalism background.
- You will help spearhead a new content initiative, writing a mix of small-business-related explainer articles along with news-driven polling and data stories on the issues that impact small business owners across the country.
- We’re a fast growing small business ourselves, and your work will contribute to our evolving content operation and bolster our brand reputation as the most authoritative source on the web for small business information.
- Your role will likely evolve quickly to match the pace of our scaling, and that’s part of what would attract you to FSB.
Our Mission: To deliver the best answers to people’s questions.
Named to the Inc. 500 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies, Fit Small Business has more than three million small business owners and managers reading our content each month. We deliver well-researched, authoritative articles so these owners can make informed decisions to grow businesses that fuel the economy. Our founders have built successful businesses before, and FSB is profitable with no outside funding. Part of the team of 150+ people is in our NYC headquarters, near Grand Central. Others are distributed across the U.S., Canada, and the Philippines.
This position includes:
- As the Small Business Writer you will be writing a range of articles, including:
- Polling and data-driven articles that tell the story of small businesses in today’s economy - how are things like the shifting economy and the trade war with China impacting American small business owners?
- Broad, authoritative articles on business topics that deliver practical information for people looking to grow their small businesses- what basics do budding entrepreneurs need to know to become successful?
- Introductory guides that provide consumers an entry point to content areas that may be new to them.
- Your own article concepts with the goal of broadening our readership and our reputation as the best small business information resource on the web.
- Working with our marketing team to identify traffic opportunities and write content that ranks in search and delivers the best answers to small business owners’ questions.
- Working with a growing team of writers, editors, and graphic designers to create a compelling package of small business-related content that includes category-leading articles, authoritative reference content, and evocative infographics that tell stories in a new way.
- Working with contractors and freelancers to package timely statistics, newsmaker quotes, and data that can be used as a resource for others across the web.
- Driving awareness by promoting your articles on social media and connecting with influencers to showcase your expertise, authority and trust.
- Pairing tenacious fact-checking with creative, conversational storytelling to engage readers.
- The opportunity to write for a content operation with a solid revenue model, contributing to a team that’s expanding rather than contracting, and innovating new ways to deliver information to a digital audience.
Does this sound like you?
- You have a nose for determining the most impactful information audiences are searching for, and delivering compelling articles that answer their questions.
- You have a talent for writing articles that make complex topics simple.
- You’re comfortable using data and analytics to inform your decisions.
- You enjoy working with a growing team in an entrepreneurial, start-up atmosphere.
- You communicate clearly, providing context and clarity so your team can act.
- You organize in order to move quickly and support team collaboration.
- You value working with forward-thinking, curious, and supportive teammates.
- You embrace change as an opportunity to learn.
- You enjoy working with digital media and take pride in collaboratively producing high quality content.
The successful candidate for this Small Business Writer role will be a standout reporter and writer, ready to work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Write compelling small business articles and reference content, breaking down complicated subjects into big picture articles for a general audience.
- Pull facts, statistics, and details together to paint a clear and compelling picture.
- Compile and analyze data and break down the info into meaningful stories.
- Work with the design team to align infographics with articles and relevant data.
- Connect our content areas to news topics and current events.
- Identify topics online journalists, writers, and publications are likely to cite or link to, and develop content around those areas.
- Find web pages that have successfully obtained links in the past, identify how we can write a better article, and write that better article for publication on our site.
- Provide guidance to divisional teams on how they can make content more linkable.
- Use AP style writing, copy-editing, and research skills.
- You have multiple years of experience writing for online news or general interest outlets, with some of that time managing or coaching other writers.
- You tell a great story with compelling data and tight, precise language.
- You understand what makes a story readable, whether it is a hard-hitting, facts-based article or lighter fare.
- You understand all things editorial, especially on topical, news-oriented content.
- You may have managed contractors and/or freelancers to produce content that aligns with organizational standards and priorities.
- You have a track record of producing articles that have received viral digital coverage.
Tools you will use:
Insightly, G Suite, Slack, Trello, WordPress, Guru, Ahrefs, SEMRush, Moz
It's OK if you have not used these, just be excited to learn them.
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary dependent on experience
- Quality health insurance subsidized by FSB
- 401K plan with matching (no waiting period)
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Commuter Benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability paid by FSB
- Social hours and employee events
- An open-minded, collaborative workplace, which will both challenge you and celebrate your work
- The opportunity to grow
- A chance to learn with and from interesting and hard-working colleagues
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.