Autism Parenting Magazine Editor Vacancy
This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced editor to join a heartful and award winning publication. Autism Parenting Magazine is committed to improve the quality of life for thousands of families effected by autism all around the world.
We bring hope where there is doubt, we bring compassion where there is judgement and provide families with an entire support network to get the help they need.
The successful applicant will become part of a growing digital publication and join an outstanding team of individuals that are based in the Philippines, Slovakia, UK and the USA.
We are dynamic organization, so the ideal candidate should be hard working and be able to grow and flourish in the fast-moving environment of the magazine. This is a remote working role but the selected candidate should be able to work a fixed shift pattern in order to liaise effectively with other members of our global team.
- Planning of content ideas for magazine issues
- Create editorial calendar
- Liaise and network with influencers and professionals in the field of autism to create articles
- Copy editing submitted articles
- Creating editors’ letter and video to be used for magazine promotion
- Ensuring the appropriate handling of contentious issues and ensuring legal compliance
- Compiling the edited content into a format that our graphic designer can use to produce the magazine
- Classifying articles into appropriate taxonomies for use in the magazine and website
- Selection of photos and creative concepts for magazine covers and other creative material
- Reviewing the output of the final PDF magazine to ensure standards are met and responsibility of final sign off
- Oversea the magazine production process from start to completed PDF output.
- Liaising with the Advertising Manager to forward prospective advertisers and arrange advertising placements
- Liaising with the graphic designer and advertising manager to ensure the quality of the magazine is of the required standard before release
- Ensuring editorial deadlines are met
- Liaise with the operations team when the magazine is finalized and ready for distribution
- Hiring of editorial team members
- Managing, coaching and supervision of editorial team members ( Designers, Copy Editors & Interns)
- Ensuring editorial costs are within budget
- Resolve ad-hoc issues
- Revise and edit writing and submission guidelines as necessary
- End to end production of magazine compilations based on specific subjects in PDF, Kindle or Createspace format.
- Responding to significant events in the news for coverage in the magazine or on our website
- Ad hoc writing assignments for sales pages, email copy, press releases and articles written for SEO
- Overseeing SEO writing projects for our blog
- Liaising with media sources through HARO
Who will thrive in this role?
- Someone that is heartful and passionate about serving the special needs community
- Is well-organized and independently motivated to work in a remote position without the need for extensive supervision
- Writes and edits articles to be clear, informative and sensitive to the article subject
- A self-starter. You plan your week, month and year's tasks in advance on your own
- You have the ability to prioritize
- Honest and sincere
- Have a “can do” attitude
- You're proactive and regularly bring up new ideas
- You're inherently inquisitive. You're always thinking about different article concepts
- You understand what good content is
- You're disciplined with your time and are great at managing multiple things going on at once.
- You are able to work with tight deadlines
- You are enthusiastic about learning new skills
- Likes liaising with industry experts and influencers
- Committed to ongoing learning about the autism niche and trends in the magazine publishing industry
- Can work effectively with different stakeholders within the business
- Can edit content to be in US English
- Able to adapt to a rapidly growing company
- Interested in a long term role in a company with job security and the potential for career progression
- 3+ years of editorial experience
- Knowledge of special needs (not essential but if not pre-existing there must be a strong desire to learn about the niche)
- Knowledge of magazine publication process
- SEO writing experience
- ASANA or other project management tools
- 1-2 years of management experience
The candidate must have a home office environment setup. Including
- A designated working environment
- Reliable internet connection to support video calls
- Office supplies
- Ability to work remotely in the new COVID-19 world
- Work with a highly talented group of individuals committed to serving the autism community
- Bonus based on personal and company performance