Are you passionate about growing your own vegetables, homesteading, self-sufficiency, farm animals, DIY projects, or just love being outdoors?
Do you run your own homestead, live off the grid, raise animals, drive tractors, fix gear? Join the content team at Outdoor Happens!
Outdoor Happens focuses on self-sufficient backyard homesteads. Our goal is to help people create the best backyard possible, with the best gear possible.
We focus on these areas:
- Gardening and farming
- Raising animals
- Backyard living
- Off grid living
- Tools and equipment
Here's what we're looking for:
- Optimism and enthusiasm - we're a passionate bunch and if you're not, you won't fit.
- Team player. Help others and they'll help you.
- Dedication. We're a small team, kinda like a family, and although you don't need to dedicate your life to us, we do ask that you're dedicated to writing great content.
- A little crazy. If you're a bit weird, that's OK. We've seen enough boring blog posts to last us a lifetime.
- Native English only. You can do this job from anywhere in the world, but your English needs to be native.
- Reliable. You need to be able to commit to at least 1500 words a week, long term. Don't leave us hanging without notice, it's not nice.
- Writing and SEO skills. Can you engage with writers in a personable way? Explain things simply but in a fun way (e.g. make it sound like rock science, not rocket science)? Do you tell it like it is, without offending but with an opinion? Do you have the SEO skills to back it up?
- Rate per word. We generally pay between 0.04 and 0.05 cents per word. If your rate is more, convince us why you're worth it.
- Research. You'll need excellent research skills. Our articles never make claims we can't back up. Do you have the skill to find interesting facts that add value to your article?
- Value. We are looking for writers who can provide exceptional value for readers. Can you inspire people? Can you teach them how to do cool things? Can you explain things in a way we can all understand?
- Writing style. We don't do fancy. We do understandable, relatable quality. We like to understand
what you're saying. Can you write like you're talking to a friend? Can you stop yourself from using statements like "in order to" and "herewith"?
How to Apply
Apply via email, to elle at outdoorhappens.com.
Answer ONE of the following two questions:
- If you were trapped on a deserted island and could only grow TWO survival crops, which would you choose? And why? (You can choose fruits or vegetables. Pretend that the island has perfect soil conditions - and you have plenty of fresh water.)
- Pretend that you inherited a massive farm. The land and title are yours. Congratulations! But - there's a catch! You can only raise ONE farm animal variety. You can choose cows, pigs, chickens, ducks, goats, trout, or honeybees. Which animal variety is your choice? And why?
Please include links to some of your previously published articles. There's no need to include your CV, we'd much prefer to read your stories!
Wishing you a lovely day,
El & the team at OH