I own an independent digital publication for rockhounds and geology enthusiasts who are very passionate about their hobby. Readers visit our website to not only learn about rocks, minerals, fossils and artifacts...but to also find information on where to go to find them, learn about new dig sites and share the things they’ve found.
I’m looking to hire 1-2 freelance long term writers to research and write informational articles about different types of rocks, minerals, gemstones and fossils. The person we hire will also research and write articles listing the best rockhounding locations for various rocks, minerals and fossils for different areas of the United States.
I need your help increasing the number of rockhounding related content being published each week, as more and more rock collecting enthusiasts are joining our community looking for information.
Examples of article topics include:
- Informational/ Ultimate Guides To Specific rocks, minerals and fossils. (ex. What Are Geodes And How To Find Them) - 2,500+/- words.
- Informational/Where To Go articles (ex. Where To Find Jasper in Colorado) - 1,000 to 2,500 words.
- Occasional Product Review/Roundup. 2,000 +/-
Most Of The Work Will Entail:
- Writing new informational articles. These will require research (and some serious internet sleuthing) to find good information.
- Updating/rewriting existing articles that are not up to par with our current editing standards.
You don’t have to be an avid rockhound or professional geologist to apply. But you must have an interest and basic knowledge and understanding of geology and rockhounding.
- You must enjoy writing and be very good at it!
- You must have an interest and experience with geology and rockhounding.
- Writing an interesting and exciting article about rocks and minerals can be challenging. We require all of the articles to be engaging, detailed, helpful, personable and even humorous sometimes. All in all, they must entertain as well as inform.
- You must have access to your own computer and internet connection. (Working from a cell phone does not count)
- Google Docs, Paypal and email
- Explain the difference between geodes and thundereggs. Please briefly answer this question in your application.
- You must have (or be willing to open) a Paypal account for invoicing.
- Familiarity with WordPress a huge plus
- Familiarity with MarketMuse a huge plus
- Native English (or equivalent). Proper grammar and spelling is mandatory.
- Ability to research and dig deep to find rock collecting dig sites (something many rockhounds don’t share publicly).
Work from anywhere!
Ideally, you can complete 2 to 4 articles per week. The first batch may take a bit longer as you get up to speed.
$.03 - $.05 USD per word.
You will be paid every 2 weeks within 48 hours of submitting to us your invoice via Paypal.
If the arrangement ends up long term, we can discuss up-front partial payments in bulk.
This is a freelancer position.
Delivery of Articles:
You will deliver the articles via Google docs to the provided spreadsheet.
The position starts immediately.
HOW TO APPLY
Please write a brief cover message explaining your experience and qualifications for the position.
PLEASE NOTE: I will be reading your cover message to assess your writing capability. If it's boilerplate and boring, I probably won't reply. Use this opportunity to show me what you've got!
Please attach or link to 2 or 3 writing samples that showcase your best work.