We are looking for an editor to manage all things “content” on our website. This means the successful candidate will:
- Manage multiple writers
- Thoroughly review content
- Provide actionable feedback, and
- Ensure that everything published is well-written, error-free, properly researched or cited, and as helpful as possible to our audience.
You should be happy to spend hours reading drafts, correcting errors, checking sources, and transforming drafts into the best articles on the internet about their respective topics.
You don’t just fix grammatical errors. You identify ways to make each resource more compelling and actionable for our target audience and make it happen quickly and effectively. Your written communication must be impeccable and you only write and approve resources that you would use and read yourself.
Hire level: Intermediate; 1-3 years of experience required.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Easily navigate your way through complex information or studies -- You’ll be working with multiple topics, including health, nutrition, beauty, travel, and parenting. Expect to bust widely accepted nutrition myths by digging into scientific journals, research studies and meta analysis to find the truth. You might also do this for travel and parenting topics. A large portion of this role is knowing what makes a scientifically study sound, and might require weeding through multiple sources to find the perfect reference (i.e., it’s factually correct, scientifically sound, defensible information).
- Assess article quality (submitted by our writers) and provide actionable feedback – This task is crucial since it will allow us to craft the most helpful articles for our audience and continually improve the quality of the writing we receive from the writers’ team. You will determine if the submitted drafts meet our standards, follows our brand guidelines and voice, and follows an intuitive structure.
- Optimize formatting, grammar, spelling, and sourcing in drafts – This task ensures we publish high-quality content that is consistent with our brand voice, error-free, and research-backed.
- Turn article drafts into the best content on the internet about their respective topics – This task ensures we become and remain the most trusted source of education for our target audience. It includes sending back drafts to writers for improvement, adding more helpful sections, rearranging sections, and identifying opportunities for additional media.
- 2+ years of experience as an Editor, Content Manager, or Equivalent
- High proficiency with Google Docs
- Intimate knowledge of scientific research, methods, and the peer review process
- Experience with content marketing, blog-style writing and editing
- Experience distilling scientific research into concise and actionable advice
- Expertise in SEO
- Experience in health, nutrition, beauty, travel, and parenting topics
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Extremely detailed-oriented—you easily catch mistakes and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Rigorous about sourcing—you can identify and cite reliable scientific studies and discard research that is weak or misguides readers.
- Excellent written communicator—you can explain things in an engaging way anyone understands and can distill scientific results into actionable advice for readers.
- Growth-oriented. You always find new ways to improve an article draft to make it more useful and digestible, no matter the topic.
We are committed to hiring individuals with a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, and beliefs who can use their interest and experience to help us make a difference in the world. Join us!