Testpad is a lightweight alternative to bulky test case management software. We're looking for a freelance writer to help us create clear yet in-depth blog posts about software testing and, most importantly, how to do it in an easy and no-frills way.
We're a small team working remotely and across different timezones.
Our users are software developers who are either using spreadsheets and want a better but still nimble tool, or software developers who are using traditional test case management but want a simpler faster approach. This is the audience you'll be writing for.
About the role
This is a brand new role for a brand new blog we'll be launching soon. You'll be working with our content strategist and head of marketing who have already put together a content strategy. It'll be your job to create the actual content following certain guidelines to make sure that content is both on-brand and search engine optimized.
We'll train you on how to do this but you should definitely have software testing knowledge or experience, as well as awareness of some of the different methods if you want to apply for this job. Ideally, we'll get started in October.
This is an ongoing role for the right candidate. While we expect that it'll take you a few weeks to get accustomed to our brand voice and learn how to optimize your articles, you'll be working rather independently from then on.
Have a look at our website and our blog (which is soon to have updated design and navigation) to see what we're about. We are a one of a kind product and definitely don’t expect you to know how it and our approach to test management work right off the bat. However, you should feel confident in your ability to quickly understand the technical side of manual software testing. Ideally, you would also be able to comment intelligently on high-level automated testing concepts. We're looking for someone with a critical mind and the skill to transform complex topics into digestible content.
- have experience researching complex topics
- have extremely high attention to detail, as the differences between certain articles will be nuanced and require specific language
- know how to sound like a professional business-to-business content writer and yet are creative/humorous enough to know when to break formalities
- have a sharp instinct for creating articles to be understood by a particular audience
- can work collaboratively and iteratively on projects
- ideally, you can usefully contribute to any aspect of the content creation process, e.g. outline/structure, tables, graphic elements, research, sentence structure, and brand voice - or willing to learn and evolve into this
What's in it for you
You'll play a significant role in developing the content for a successful and growing product business while being able to work remotely. If all goes well you'll be with us for months and even years to come, certain of a set amount of work every month.
You'll be paid monthly in USD. Rates are negotiable and will depend on your experience.
To apply, please send the following to [email protected]:
- your CV or relevant experience
- a cover letter explaining why you're the best fit for the job (limit to one page)
- the kind of rate you are expecting
- your availability
- three samples of your writing. The more relevant those samples are (= related to software testing), the better. If you don't have relevant samples, send us samples that demonstrate your skill at researching complicated topics and presenting them in a digestible way.
This application process consists of several rounds. We'll make a first selection of candidates who will be given a paid test task. Based on the results of that task, we may or may not ask you to hop on a quick call with us after which we will choose the writer we'll be working with.
The successful candidate will be someone we click with, who gets the Testpad philosophy that testing doesn't need to be so hard, and who can hopefully become a long-term friend of the company.