Coffeeness.de is looking to hire one or two more English translating editors for 10-15 hours per week. We are translating coffee-related blog posts from German to English, in the effort to expand our readership to include coffee lovers in the U.S.
The German articles are translated to English using an online tool, and we’d expect you to edit the rough English version so that it reads well in American English. The average word count for an article is between 2,000 and 2,500 words, and our current translating editors finish about two articles per week in 10-12 hours.
We’re looking for people with native or near-native written English and who are comfortable with American use and style. You don’t have to know German for this position, but it’s a big plus. Also a plus is some knowledge of the coffee industry, including super automatic espresso machines.
- At least 1 year of professional AP-style editing experience
- Native or near-native American English
- Available for 10-15 hours each week
- A strong WiFi connection for remote work and occasional video meetings
Preferred But Not Required:
- Understanding of the German written language
- Interest in or experience with the coffee industry
- Experience with Google Docs and WordPress
This position is fully remote, as is our entire editorial and writing team. The pay ranges from US$16 to $20 per hour, depending on experience. We invoice on the 25th to pay promptly before the 1st.
If all the above sounds good to you, click on this link to access the Google Form where you can submit your application.
- Your full name
- Gmail address (or one routed through Gmail; we work in Google Drive)
- Links to published pieces or your portfolio
- A short cover letter describing why you want to work for us
- Your resume
- Your editing rate, by hour
If we like what we see, we’ll invite you to edit an unpaid trial of 500 translated words that we won’t publish, and if all that goes well we’ll have a quick video chat to answer any remaining questions before inviting you to join the team.
We’ll be reviewing applications from Jan 25 onward for two weeks or until we find the right candidate/s. We look forward to seeing your applications. Please note that we will only be responding to applications submitted via the Google Form. Good luck!