- Do you have top-shelf writing skills and a passion for animals?
- Are you a pet industry veteran or lifelong pet owner? Perhaps you have a couple of furry kids at home?
- Are you someone who loves to share their knowledge with others?
If you’re nodding your head at this point, we should talk.
We’re hiring writers for long-term, consistent work
Our media company owns and operates an exciting range of websites that help pet owners make educated decisions about the well-being of their best friends and family members.
To get a glimpse of what we're all about, take a look at DoggieDesigner.com, one of our more popular sites.
We’re looking to bolster our content team with a few more lights-out writers who want to share their knowledge of the animal kingdom with fellow pet owners and animal enthusiasts.
Therefore, we need:
- Dog writers
- Cat writers
- General pet writers (anything from hamsters to bearded dragons)
We need high-quality pet care content
In addition to penning exceptionally informative content like “How to Hold Your Rabbit Properly”, you’ll be covering the pantheon of pet care products – from hamster wheel comparisons to best cat food dispensers to weight management programs for obese dogs.
OK, great. Let’s get down to business.
Why work with us?
- Competitive pay – The greater your experience, the higher we pay. Moreover, we routinely give raises to writers who perform. Plus, we give per article bonuses on a wide range of materials.
- Fast payment – You’ll be paid three days after you submit work for the last deadline (via PayPal). For example, our deadline is Saturday, 11:59 PM EST. You’ll be paid that coming Wednesday (usually in the morning).
- Consistent work – Emphasis on consistent. We’ll assign articles every week – week in, week out. We have more work than our current team can handle, obviously. Many of our writers have been with us six months or longer. Several writers work for us full-time and make an excellent living. Word counts per week range from 10-25k+.
- Flexibility – Work at your own pace, adjust your desired word count per week to suit your availability.
- Weekly deadlines – Get your assignment on Saturday, turn it in the following Saturday.
- Our editors care – We believe in getting the best out of our writers with encouragement and constructive communication. Your assigned editor will be invested in your success as a writer. When you have questions or concerns, we’ll be there like Shazam!
- Superb guidance via SOPs – Our comprehensive writer’s guidelines cover everything you need to know about working with us, including instructional videos and detailed examples.
- Ease of communication – No conference calls, no Slack chatrooms, no Trello boards. Aside from the trial and hiring process, all communication will take place via email with your assigned editor.
- Bulk up your portfolio – You’ll start to lose count of your published articles about a month into this gig.
- Potential for a byline and author's bio – Want to establish yourself as a trusted name in the pet care industry? We offer the potential for you to have a byline and author's bio on one of the leading pet care sites!
What we need from you
Some experience (negotiable) – Enthusiasm is far more important than experience, but you should at least have a couple of samples in your portfolio to share with us.
- We prefer writers with a minimum of 3 years writing for online publication, but we’ve hired people fresh out of college without a writing credit to their name.
- Pet industry experience is highly-prized.
Native English writing chops – It’s almost insulting to say this, but you should have polished writing skills and at least a passing familiarity with Grammarly and spellcheck in Word.
- Meanwhile, we like writers who know their stuff AND jump off the page with personality and engagement. No stodgy, academic writing here. We’re people writing for people.
- Native English-speakers only. This is non-negotiable. You must also be intimately familiar with writing for a US audience.
Digital competency – Nothing fancy, just the usual stuff.
- A PayPal account
- Core competency with MS Word and Google Drive
It would be awesome if...
- You have access to a camera and possess some basic photography skills (we pay extra for that, of course!)
- You are willing and able to have products shipped to you for hands-on testing and reviewing (free stuff!)
- You own one or more pets you'll be writing about (not a requirement)
How to apply
Simply click on the link at the bottom and fill out the form. When you get to the last question, please supply the answer to: What is the longest river on Earth?
What happens next?
If we want to move forward, we’ll be in touch via email. Earmarked applicants will be invited to a short 10-minute interview (text/voice) on Skype or Zoom. We’ll ask you to complete a paid trial assignment (typically 600-1800 words).
Once the trial is complete, we’ll make a decision. If we decide to work together, the articles will start flowing.
Just being selected for the trial is an achievement in itself. That means we think you’ve got what it takes. However, competition for these gigs can be fierce.
- Even if we don’t decide to bring you onboard at this time, we’ll keep your application in our database for contact in the future. You might be surprised by how many of our current writers didn’t make the first cut. But they answered when we called back about a month later.
Don't wait, apply now
We generally go through the applications as they come in; however, a large number of applicants won't be considered. The bottom line is the sooner you apply, the better your chances of an invitation to interview.
Thanks for reading. Hope to be working with you soon!