We're looking for a content writer with experience in writing blogs about real estate, homes, decor and on any topic homeowner or renter related. We require engaging, high-value articles for our blog that will educate or entertain our audience.
Specifically, we're looking for actionable, practical and useful content that is evergreen in nature (not tied to market cycles or trends).
Ideally, you are familiar with Canadian housing and mortgage markets, but for many pieces, this isn't mandatory.
You should be comfortable with researching your topic, providing images that correspond to your topic and writing and be able to write in a blog style that meets with best practices when it comes to readability and usability.
Ideally you’re also familiar with content marketing powerhouses like Backlinko, Neil Patel, Unbounce or similar sites. We want this value but relating to the Canadian real estate market.
Our readers are consumers (first time home buyers, experienced home buyers, home sellers, home owners, renters and investors) who want information on buying, selling and all things related to real estate and home ownership in Canada.
Most blog posts will fall between 500 to 1,000 words and will need to follow our formatting guidelines (see below for more details).
Great examples of the types of topics we’re looking for:
- "x" Trends from This Year's Home and Garden Show in Vancouver
- Looking For The Best Mortgage Rate? Here's 6 Questions You Need To Ask
- Best DIY Home Renovation Projects (and why)
- 7 Useful Tips for First-Time Homebuyers (and why)
- How to Downsize Your Home with Kids
- 6 questions to ask when looking For The Best Mortgage Rate
Keep in mind, we have strict guidelines:
- For every 1,000 words of content, there should be 5 - 15 outbound links to influencers and references (will be used for later promotion)
- All content will be written using Canadian spelling
- Content subject matter will be provided to the writer, who is responsible for researching and writing both the content, as well as all related images. For example: A post about a celebrity home for sale would require images of the home and the celebrity. Images need to be sourced and royalty-free, ready for commercial use
- Include all SEO terms that are highlighted for each project in a natural and conversational way into each blog post
- Format of posts will follow blog best practices: Use of subheads (and identified keywords in first paragraph, hed and subhead tags); use of bullet points, lists and rankings
- Preference is given to bloggers that are comfortable with uploading content and pics into a WordPress site
Initially, we are looking to work with people on a per project basis. If it works out, we'd be happy to increase the number of blog posts on a per month basis.
If you are a professional blogger who wants regular, freelance work with a committed client, please send at least two examples of blog articles that you have written with a short explanation of what the job required (what you were tasked to do).
Those that consistently meet deadlines with good, quality copy will be given top priority.
Apply by emailing writer [at] zolo [dot] ca. In your email include your two sample pieces as well as a brief explanation as to why you would be perfect for this ongoing freelance job. Please include your per blog rate and whether or not this rate changes if you are given a larger workload.