Role: Blog Editor
Compensation: Competitive hourly rate
Location: Anywhere, remote
Employment Type: Part time or full time (minimum 25 hours/week, 30+ preferred)
As a FluentU blog editor, your main tasks will be:
1. editing our published content to meet all our current guidelines and employ best practices.
We have published a massive amount of content over the years, and our strategies are constantly evolving. FluentU editors are primarily focused on making sure every single blog post is the best it can possibly be by our current standards.
2. copyediting and proofreading blog content so it meets all our style and content standards
The FluentU style/content standards and "best practices" guide will be your go-to documentation—they cover everything from how to use Oxford commas, how to format a post well, to how to teach languages effectively via blog content. You’ll need to be able to digest our guides and implement them to. the. letter.
3. collaborating with the blog team’s Marketing Manager to plan and execute our content strategy
You’ll help our team figure out how to get more readers to our blogs, and make sure all our blog content is delivering the right answers to our audience of language learners. What are their burning questions? How can we provide the best possible answer to those questions?
It turns out that modern language learners love to ask their questions online. So things like keywords and search traffic do matter to our blog team—they let us know what information language learners want to find. You’ll explore data, research keywords and use that as a springboard to plan content strategy.
4. providing constructive feedback to team members on content, writing style, and technical accuracy
It’s one thing to just tweak and polish blog posts. It’s quite another to provide feedback to that ups our game. You should be able to build a rapport with writers and fellow editors, and be unafraid to deliver honest, constructive criticism when needed.
You might be a great fit for our blog editor role if you:
- Have experience with blog editing: Experience with academic editing, technical content editing, fiction editing, news editing, doesn’t necessarily translate to blog editing. Same goes for editing your own writing work. Please let us know why you have the right experience/skills to become a blog editor (ideally you should have a strong sense of what it takes to run a successful blog and create top-quality blog content.)
- Enjoy brainstorming and researching new blog content: You have at least basic knowledge of SEO. You’re able to combine data with creative, out-of-the-box thinking to figure out which topics our language learning audience will truly enjoy reading about.
- Have worked directly with writers, or have managed a writing team before.
- Hate fluff: If it’s not vital to push the post forward, it’s on your chopping block.
- Are a perfectionist: It’s really hard to get a typo, grammar error or inaccurate statement past you.
- Are not so perfectionist that you get paralyzed: You’ll have a lot of content to edit, so you’ll need to make quick decisions and work efficiently.
- Are tech-savvy: Experience with WordPress preferred. Knowing Asana wins bonus points. Neither is required. It’s more important that you’re tech-savvy enough to quickly learn any digital tool that is handed to you.
- Have some experience with language learning: You don’t have to be fluent, but ideally you’ve consumed enough language blogs, textbooks or courses to know what makes a language lesson effective and enjoyable to read.