With the legal cannabis industry ready to take off in Canada, I’m looking for a small team of freelance writers that have online content creation experience - ideally within an eCommerce setting.
As a former freelance writer myself, I know the trials and tribulations of freelance writing, and will treat you as a valued contributor (i.e. prompt payment, immediate email responses, minimal edits, direct - as opposed to vague - instruction, etc). As the owner/editor, I can guarantee you will get paid, your questions will be answered ASAP, and your time will NOT be wasted!
No experience with the product is necessary! If you’re a freelance professional, you’ve no doubt figured out that you don’t need to have firsthand experience with a product in order to conduct basic online research and write a reasonably all-encompassing informative piece on it. We’re looking to become a resource for well-researched, cleanly-presented information within an industry that often gets reduced to using trashy slang.
Content deliverables will likely fall into these categories:
- 800-1200 word pieces on a single aspect of the marijuana/cannabis industry and/or current events/laws related to the industry.
- 4,000+ word pillar articles that will be prominently featured on the site
- 800-1200 word in-depth product reviews that include comparison tables and other conversion elements.
- Script writing for whiteboard videos
I’m looking for someone with these qualifications. Some are “wishlist”, while others are prerequisites:
- Understands how to write for an online audience! (Shorter paragraphs and sentences, excellent headlines and subtitles, impactful grammar choices, lists, etc.)
- Is proficient at blending SEO direction with a natural voice. I’ll give you the keywords we’re focusing on, but your knowledge of on-page SEO is key and will be part of the interview process.
- Understands how interlinking and anchor text are used on a website and can efficiently use interlinking for SEO with minimal guidance.
- Good, solid writing that includes extremely few errors, incorporates prior feedback, and needs minimal editing.
- WordPress experience - the goal here for both of us is to reduce editing time as much as possible.
- Actual product experience is not needed - but might be useful in providing authentic-ish narratives.
- You enjoy research and are curious about the topic. Many articles will likely include looking at current SEO-leading websites and writing on similar topics, but in a much more informative and authentic voice.
- Copywriting experience that naturally leads a buyer through purchase decisions would be an asset - although I may do the bulk of this work myself.
- Punctuality is essential. I promise to fulfill my end of the bargain and get back to you ASAP. The flip side of that promise is that I prize it in others. If I have to address this issue more than once, we’ll go in another direction as far as freelance services.
- Bonus points (and possibly a higher per-article rate) if you have experience with Canva or PicMonkey and can create personalized images from stock photos.
- More Bonus points if you live in Canada or at least familiar with the Canadian news cycle in regards to cannabis legalisation.
This project will be long term, and requires 100+ articles to be written.
Apply below with your work samples (links preferred over attachments) and the reasons why you would be a great fit.
At this pay rate it should go without saying that I want professional candidates who are native English writers.
Looking forward to working with you!